SEMAT Workshop on a General Theory of Software Engineering (GTSE)
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, November 8-9, 2012
In the frame of the Semat Initiative, we are planning a two-day discussion-oriented workshop in Stockholm, Sweden, on the topic of a general theory of software engineering. This is the first workshop on the theme. Therefore, we aim to start from the beginning. We expect to have lively discussions on topics such as
• What are the objectives of a theory of software engineering?
• How can a theory be of use in practice?
• What is a useful definition of theory?
• What questions should a theory of software engineering address?
• How foundational/universal should it be?
• What should the main concepts of the theory be?
• Should a theory of software engineering be expressed formally?
• If formalized, what is a suitable language for a theory of software engineering?
We think that you could have relevant input to this discussion and therefore invite you to submit a two-page position paper according to the Call for Participation.
Paper submission October 8, 2012
Author notification October 12, 2012
Workshop November 8-9, 2012